
Unbelievable Luxury Awaits: Discover Green Palace Hotel, Gilgit!
Unbelievable Luxury Awaits: Discover Green Palace Hotel, Gilgit! – My (Real) Take!
Alright, buckle up buttercups, because I just finished dissecting the Green Palace Hotel in Gilgit, and let me tell you, it's a ride. Forget those sterile, corporate reviews – this is the real deal, straight from a weary traveler who values a comfy bed and a decent cup of coffee above all else. And the Green Palace? Well, it’s got its quirks, its triumphs, and enough potential to make you forget you’re miles from anything resembling civilization. Let's dive in, shall we?
First Impressions: Reaching the Green Palace – A Gilgit Gamble!
Getting to Gilgit itself is an adventure. Let’s just say you’ll earn your bragging rights. But once you arrive at the Green Palace… well, let's just say the exterior doesn’t quite scream "luxury." Think… a slightly grander, but not quite, roadside motel. But hey, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and inside? Well, let's get to that.
The Accessibility Angle - Or, How Easy Is It To Get In?
Okay, so accessibility is… a mixed bag. The website claims accessible rooms, and there’s an elevator (thank the heavens!), but I'd really need to see a more detailed breakdown for full confidence. I'd recommend checking the specific room details with the hotel before booking, especially if you need wheelchair access. Now, I don't use a wheelchair, so I can't speak from experience, but this is definitely something to verify personally before committing.
Rooms – A Sanctuary (Almost)!
Okay, the rooms… they're… nice. My room had a view that was breathtaking. Mountains, people! Mountains! Just fantastic. The bed was, thankfully, super comfortable, with extra-long (and I mean extra) long blankets, which are a must. The blackout curtains were a godsend after a long day, and the air conditioning was a lifesaver. They offer free Wi-Fi, which is a must for staying connected to the outside world, and the complimentary tea and bottled water were definitely appreciated. I had a private bathroom with all the usual suspects. Now, the slippers - a small touch of luxury that made me feel instantly pampered. The bathrobes were incredibly soft too.
The daily housekeeping was efficient, but the bathroom phone? Seriously, who uses those anymore? A relic of a bygone era! But hey, at least you can call someone if you need to.
Internet – A Mixed Bag (But Generally Decent!)
Free Wi-Fi! Excellent! I mean, it's essential, isn't it? Wi-Fi in all rooms! and in the public areas… Well, sometimes they work… and sometimes they don't. But hey, it's Gilgit, and you have to temper your expectations with reality. Internet access – LAN, is also an option.
Food, Glorious Food, and the Occasional Stomach Rumble!
Alright, let's talk food. This is where the Green Palace really shines, and where some of the… less impressive aspects come into play.
- Restaurants & Dining: They have restaurants! Plural! Restaurants! The Asian cuisine was… adventurous. Let's put it that way. I tried everything! The vegetarian restaurant, was amazing. But then again, I love vegetables! The Western cuisine was also available, but don't expect perfect. And the coffee shop serves a decent cuppa. The room service is a lifesaver and available 24-hour. A la carte in restaurant and buffet in restaurant for your convenience.
- Breakfast: The Asian breakfast was… well, it was breakfast. I went for the Western breakfast. The breakfast service was fine, and the buffet was adequate, but not exactly gourmet. I'd recommend the breakfast takeaway service if you fancy a quick escape into the mountains. The coffee/tea in restaurant was decent.
- Snacks & Sips: I'm happy they have a bar and a poolside bar, but they are not the most lively places.
- The Quirks: One little gripe? Sometimes the desserts are… interesting. Let's just say they weren't always the highlight of my meal. Also, bring your own Pepto-Bismol. Just in case.
Unbelievable Luxurious Relaxation:
Now, this is where the Green Palace flexes its muscles. You know, the spa, the sauna, the steamroom, and the swimming pool are great.
The Spa Experience (and my personal breakdown):
- The Massage: Okay, the massage was seriously good. I mean, really good. The masseuse knew their stuff and worked out all the knots from that grueling journey. 10/10 would recommend!
- The Sauna and Steamroom: Pure bliss. You can really relax, especially after that long journey.
- The Pool with a View: A dip in the outdoor pool is a must. The swimming pool [outdoor] is a must. The view from the pool with view is absolutely insane. You can lounge around, and enjoy the serenity.
- The Fitness Center: If you're into working out during your vacation, they have a fitness center there for you.
- Other Relaxation Options: They also offer foot bath, body scrub and body wrap.
Cleanliness, Safety, and the Ever-Present Pandemic
The Green Palace seems to take hygiene seriously. They offer Anti-viral cleaning products, Daily disinfection in common areas, Hand sanitizer, Hygiene certification, Individually-wrapped food options, Rooms sanitized between stays, Safe dining setup, Sanitized kitchen and tableware items, and Staff trained in safety protocol. It all seems pretty reassuring.
Services and Conveniences – A Mixed Bag, But Mostly Good!
- Useful Stuff: Concierge? Check. Daily housekeeping? Check. Laundry service? Check. Currency exchange? Check. Food delivery? Yep. Luggage storage? You got it, which is helpful.
- Things that Make a Difference: Air conditioning in public area is great. The elevator is crucial.
- Businessy Stuff: They offer a few business facilities. Meetings are possible, and they have meeting/banquet facilities. They also have audio-visual equipment for special events, Indoor venue for special events and Projector/LED display. They even have Wi-Fi for special events.
- The Quirky Extras: They have a shrine, if you need some spiritual peace. They have a convenience store for those midnight cravings.
For the Kids and Families
They have babysitting service and are generally family/child friendly. They have kids facilities. They have kids meal.
Extra Observations and Imperfections
- The Staff: Generally, the staff were friendly and helpful, but there was a slight language barrier. Be prepared to mime and point a lot.
- The "Luxury" Factor: While the hotel is comfortable, it does not exude luxury. It's more like "comfortable Gilgit hotel."
- The Noise Factor: Some rooms might be a little noisy, so ask for a room away from the road if you’re sensitive to sound.
- Cashless Payment: They offer cashless payment service and Invoice provided.
- The View: I can't reiterate enough, the views are amazing.
My Final Verdict: Is the Green Palace Worth It?
Absolutely. If you're looking for a comfortable base camp for exploring Gilgit and its stunning surroundings, and don't expect perfection, the Green Palace Hotel is a solid choice. It's not perfect, but it's got heart, the service is generally good, the spa is heavenly, the views are killer, and the rooms are comfy. Its not the height of luxury, but it has an undeniable charm, it would be a great option. I’d go back in a heartbeat. And that, my friends, is about as honest as it gets.
Giethoorn's Hidden Gem: Cozy Holiday Home with Garden Paradise!
Alright, buckle up buttercups, 'cause this isn't your average, sterile itinerary. This is the messy, glorious, and frankly, slightly chaotic account of my stay at the Hotel Green Palace in Gahkuch, Gilgit-Baltistan, Pakistan. Warning: May contain excessive use of exclamation points, questionable decisions, and an unhealthy obsession with chai. Day 1: Arrival - And the Great Chai Quest Begins!
- Afternoon (Because let's be honest, I’m not a morning person): Landed at Gilgit Airport. The flight? Bumpy as a camel's backside! Seriously, felt like I was auditioning for a rodeo. Got that distinct feeling in my gut I'd left a bag at home.
- Arrival at Green Palace: The hotel? Well, let's just say "rustic charm" is the official description. More like "charming-ish, with the potential for a rogue spider to make a guest appearance." The lobby was… there. The staff? Eager to please, which is always a win. Immediately, I interrogated them about the chai situation. This is non-negotiable. You have to.
- An Ode to Chai: The chai. Oh, the chai! It's a religious experience here. Sweet, milky, spiced perfection. Literally my first thought after checking in was: "Can I get chai now?" And I did. I proceeded to drink approximately 7 cups, fueled by a potent combination of jet lag and pure, unadulterated joy. This calls for a song, actually, something like "Chai, You Were Meant for Me."
- Evening: Wandering the town of Gahkuch. Got hopelessly lost, twice. Ended up in a small market – smells of spices and open-air vendors. Tried to haggle for a pashmina shawl (failed miserably, paid too much, totally worth it). Dinner at the hotel was… simple. But the chai? Always a star. The sun sets over the mountains, the air gets crisp, and I sit with my chai and feel like I've actually arrived somewhere.
Day 2: The Hunza Valley Dreams and a Donkey Named Bartholomew?
- Morning: Woke up with the sun and a slight headache. Thanks, chai. (Totally worth it, though.) Decided to brave the Hunza Valley trip everyone raves about. Now, there's a lot of buzz about this valley. I'd been told "Breathtaking Views" and "Stunning Landscapes".
- The Journey: Road trip! The drive was… an experience. Narrow, winding roads clinging to mountainsides. My driver? A wonderfully eccentric local named Abdul, who regaled me with tales of his goats and a donkey named Bartholomew. (I'm not kidding. Bartholomew really exists.) The views were breathtaking. The mountains are seriously impressive. I'd never really seen anything like it.
- The Hunza Valley, or, the Kingdom of Apricots: Visited the historic Baltit Fort. The history is fascinating. But after a while, the endless information gave by guide was too much. I wandered off and started searching for Apricots. They were everywhere. Apricot juice, dried apricots, apricot jam, even apricot-flavored everything. I felt an urge to just eat apricots and nothing but apricots.
- That One Time I Forgot My Camera at Home: Lost my camera. Or rather, I am pretty sure I left it in the hotel room. Gut punch to my photos. Ugh. Spent the rest of the day worrying about it.
- Back to the Green Palace: The hotel staff were incredibly helpful in trying to find my camera. Which, turns out, was safely in my room after all. Thank god. Chai-fueled relief. Then it was time for dinner, and more, more chai.
Day 3: Gahkuch, Heartbreak, and Saying Goodbye (for now!)
- Morning: Woke up to a lovely sunrise and the distinct feeling that I would have regretted not taking in all the sights. Decided to take a quick walk in the town and soak it all in.
- The Real Gahkuch: I took a walk, got lost again, and went into a local shop. The sheer kindness of the local people.
- Farewell, Green Palace: Packing up. A bittersweet moment. I'd made some seriously strong connections with the chai pot. The hotel had grown on me - the imperfections were part of the charm.
- Departure: Heading back to Gilgit airport with the sun setting. The drive was emotional for some reason. I did feel like parting with the mountains and that feeling of being far away.
In Conclusion:
Hotel Green Palace, you were a quirky, chaotic, and utterly charming basecamp. Gahkuch, you stole a piece of my heart. Pakistan, you beautiful, crazy, caffeinated country, I'll be back. And next time, I'm bringing my own teapot and a donkey named Bartholomew.
Bangkok's BEST Kept Secret: Kamin Bird Hostel! (Unbelievable!)
Green Palace Hotel, Gilgit: FAQs (Because You *Need* to Know... The Truth)
Is the "Green Palace" part of the name a lie? Like, is it just a beige box?
Okay, first of all, the name *does* give you visions of... well, a palace. And with "Green" tagged on? You're picturing lush gardens, right? Wrong. Don't get me wrong, they *tried* with some strategically placed pot plants, but let's be honest, Gilgit isn't exactly the Garden of Eden. It's… mountainous. So, green? Debatable. Palace? Also debatable. It's more like a solid, relatively modern building. Think stylish, well-built...with a slight "this was planned in the 90s" vibe. But the view... that's where the real magic happens. (More on that later, I promise. Gotta build the suspense!).
The brochures promise "breathtaking views of the Himalayas." Is that just marketing fluff?
Okay, FINE. This is where they actually deliver. And MAN, do they deliver. I mean, I'm not even kidding, I nearly choked on my naan the first morning. I tripped over the overly-plush (and slightly dusty, let's be frank) carpet in my room because I was so busy staring at the freaking *mountains*. Honestly? They're majestic. Absolutely breathtaking. You might even cry a little. I may or may not have. Don't judge. It's the altitude, I swear. But seriously, pack a good camera. And maybe some tissues. You'll need them. Just be warned, depending on the time of year, the air can be SO dry. So keep water and lotion around. I looked like a desert lizard after a few days!
What's the food like? Because let's be real, hotel food can be… hit or miss.
Alright, the food. This is where things get a little… complicated. The breakfast buffet is surprisingly decent. Eggs, they had those. Naan, glorious naan, fluffy and hot and perfect for soaking up all the delicious things. They also had… other things. Some I dared try (the *aloo* dishes were pretty good – potato), some I cautiously avoided (I’m looking at you, mysterious meat stew!). Lunch and dinner? Same deal. A mix of local dishes and… international attempts. Let's just say, they were trying. One night, I ordered something that was *supposed* to be chicken, but it looked… different. Let's just say my stomach did a little dance that night. But! There were other nights where the food was excellent! It’s a gamble, a delightful, sometimes slightly terrifying gamble. My top tip? Stick with the naan. You cant go wrong
What about the rooms? Are they actually "luxurious" as advertised?
Okay, “luxurious”. Again, let's unpack this. The rooms were comfortable. They had hot water (a MAJOR bonus!), comfy beds, and… okay, some slightly dated decor. Think floral patterned wallpaper (with a touch of fading!), and maybe a TV with a few channels that constantly seemed to fuzz out. But hey, the views! Again, the *views* are the star of the show. Each room had a balcony and even though the room itself didn’t look as fresh as it should, you weren't focused on that. Because you were on the balcony drinking your tea, and just staring at the mountains. Again, it's a solid, clean place to lay your head. Just don't go expecting a five-star experience. But the staff were really nice and helpful. Speaking of which...
How's the service? I've heard hotel staff can make or break a trip.
The service? This is where the Green Palace shines. Seriously. The staff are absolutely lovely, genuinely helpful, and go out of their way to make you feel welcome! They are so attentive and very good with people. This one, the waiter, he knew my name by day two! (I was ordering naan daily!). They're the kind of people who remember your coffee order, offer you extra blankets when the evening chill sets in, and always have a smile. And, because sometimes travel goes sideways, a guy in my group got a bad stomach bug, and the staff went above and beyond, getting him (very potent) ginger tea (a local remedy), checking on him constantly, and even, bless their hearts, checking in on me! So yeah, the service is a definite plus.
Is there Wi-Fi? Because, you know, the modern world.
Ah, Wi-Fi. Brace yourself. It exists. Technically. But it’s… temperamental. Think occasional outages, slow speeds, and the constant feeling that you're trying to connect to the internet using a tin can and a piece of string. It works well enough for checking emails, or maybe short messages. Netflix? Forget about it. Consider this a digital detox opportunity. Embrace the mountains, breathe in the clean air, and put your phone down. You’ll survive! I had serious withdrawal at first, but turned out great for me: now I just remember all the beauty experienced!
What are some other quirks or things I should know before booking?
Okay, a few quirks to be aware of: 1. Power outages are a thing in Gilgit. The hotel has a generator, but even that can be... unpredictable. Bring a power bank for your phone (and your camera!). 2. The soundproofing isn't perfect. You *will* hear other guests, especially if there are families with small children (who, I have to admit, were adorable, even at 6 AM!). 3. The laundry service is… interesting. Let’s just say your clothes might come back smelling vaguely of… woodsmoke. 4. The hotel is very close to the main road. It's not overly noisy, but you could get a wake-up call from a passing truck. But… if you can deal with the quirks (and honestly, they're part of the charm), the amazing views, the friendly staff, and the overall experience make it worth it. Just go with realistic expectations, a sense of humor, and an open mind. And prepare to be wowed by those mountains! Seriously, they’re the best part.
Okay, you've tempted me. But are there other hotels in Gilgit?
Yes, probably. I didn't look at others. I didn't spend my time looking at boring stuff. When you see the views, you'll understand. But seriously, yes, there are other hotels. But I'm telling you, the Green Palace, despite its imperfections, has a certain… something. If you want the best shotCozy Stay Spot

