
Unbelievable Ban Rai Rabeangmok: Khao Kho's Hidden Gem Revealed!
Unbelievable Ban Rai Rabeangmok: Khao Kho's Hidden Gem (Or Is It?!) - A Thoroughly Messy Review
Okay, buckle up buttercups, because I'm about to spill the tea (or maybe the coffee… or possibly the green tea from the complimentary tea – more on that later) on Ban Rai Rabeangmok. “Hidden Gem” they call it. Well, after a few nights wrestling with the clouds, the Khao Kho winds, and my own expectations, I'm ready to drop some truth bombs. Expect a rollercoaster, folks, because this place… well, it's an experience.
First Impressions & The All-Important Accessibility (Let's Get This Sorted First!)
Getting to Ban Rai Rabeangmok is an adventure in itself. Accessibility? Ugh. Let's just say if you're relying on a wheelchair, Khao Kho’s a bit…mountainous. The website doesn't explicitly scream "wheelchair utopia," and trust me, you'll be doing some serious legwork. But, and this is a big BUT, they do list "Facilities for disabled guests," so make SURE you call ahead and get the lowdown. I saw an elevator, which is more than some places offer, but I'd still check EVERYTHING.
Parking? Car park [free of charge] – yes! And plentiful. Though navigating the winding roads up there can be a little… dramatic on the nerves.
Arrival & Getting Settled (And Dealing With The Altitude)
Check-in was… efficient, I guess. Contactless check-in/out is a welcome touch in these post-COVID times. The front desk [24-hour] is a lifesaver, especially when you're fighting jet lag and questioning all your life choices at 3 AM. The rooms themselves? Well, let's talk about my room.
My Room: A Whirlwind of… Stuff.
Okay, the room. It had… stuff. And while it's listed under many categories: Additional toilet, Air conditioning, Alarm clock, Bathrobes, Bathroom phone, Bathtub, Blackout curtains, Carpeting, Closet, Coffee/tea maker… the impression I formed was more random. The complimentary tea was a nice touch (and necessary for surviving the Khao Kho cold!), and the free Wi-Fi (yes, Wi-Fi [free] in the room!) was a godsend for uploading ALL the photos. Internet access – wireless and Internet access – LAN were both available, which is a plus for the seriously connected. Additional toilet sounds luxurious, right? Well, it was.
The view? Unbelievable. Seriously. The mountains, the clouds, the… wait, is that a coffee plantation? (More on the coffee situation shortly.) The window that opens was dreamy. And the extra long bed was a lifesaver for my poor, achy back. The reading light and socket near the bed were thoughtful touches, which I much appreciated.
But let's be real: this room had character. And by character, I mean a scattering of things that didn't quite… sync. The safe box felt a little dated, and I’m pretty sure the TV was from the early 2000s. Yet, despite the imperfections, there was a certain… charm.
Winning the War on Cleanliness (and Germs!)
Okay, important stuff: Cleanliness and safety. The resort really seems to be taking this seriously. I saw Anti-viral cleaning products being used, and they've clearly got the Daily disinfection in common areas on lock. Rooms sanitized between stays? Check. Staff trained in safety protocol? Seemed so. I definitely saw the hand sanitizer stations everywhere. There was a first aid kit but, thankfully, I didn't need it. They offer Room sanitization opt-out available, which is good. I felt safer than I have in a while.
Food, Glorious Food (The Good, The Bad, and The Coffee)
Let's talk food, because that's where my emotions truly peaked. The Asian breakfast was amazing. I'm a sucker for a good omelet, and, the buffet in restaurant… well, it kept me going for days. They offered Breakfast [buffet] and Breakfast service. The coffee shop was a godsend, that caffeine rush that gave me energy for the day.
One word: COFFEE. Khao Kho is famous for its coffee. And Ban Rai Rabeangmok knows this. The Coffee/tea in restaurant was high quality. The coffee was strong, aromatic, and (crucially) readily available. I spent an embarrassing amount of time at the coffee shop, basically becoming best friends with the barista.
The Restaurants offer Asian cuisine in restaurant, International cuisine in restaurant, Western cuisine in restaurant and Vegetarian restaurant . I tried them all. The Desserts in restaurant were to die for. Their pizza was… decent (but, hey, I'm incredibly picky). The Snack bar was handy for a quick bite. The Poolside bar was a great place to relax and watch the sunset.
I'm not going to lie: there was one meal that wasn't quite up to par (a slightly dry…let's call it a "beef-adjacent" dish). But, overall, the food situation was a solid win.
Pamper Yourself (Or, My Spa Adventure: A Saga)
Okay, here's where things got interesting. I decided to embrace the "relaxation" aspect. They have a Spa. They also have a Sauna, a Steamroom, a Gym/fitness, a Pool with view, Swimming pool [outdoor]. I decided to go all-in.
I opted for the Body scrub and a Massage. The spa itself was peaceful, the staff were lovely, and the Body wrap was… unexpectedly relaxing. The Foot bath was the perfect way to start. The Spa/sauna was very nice, but it was the massage… That's when it hit me: this wasn't just a spa; this was a portal to another dimension of chill. I nearly fell asleep. I'm pretty sure I drooled. It was… glorious.
Things To Do (Besides Sleeping and Eating, That Is!)
So, besides getting lost in the spa and stuffing my face, what else is there? Well, it's Khao Kho! Hike (Fitness center), explore the surrounding landscape. They can arrange a Taxi service (Airport transfer is available, but I didn't use it). I saw some Bicycle parking (but didn't have the energy to cycle). They also offer Meetings and Seminars, if you need it.
The Quirks & The Imperfections (Because, Let's Be Real)
Look, Ban Rai Rabeangmok isn't perfect. There are a few… idiosyncrasies. The signage could be a little clearer at times. Sometimes, the staff was stretched thin. You might run into a minor inconvenience or two.
But honestly? That’s part of the charm. It's real. It's honest. It’s a place that feels more lived-in than sterile.
The Verdict: Is It a Hidden Gem?
Okay, my verdict. Is Ban Rai Rabeangmok a "hidden gem"? Maybe. It's not a diamond, but it is a very pretty, slightly flawed, emerald. If you're looking for a polished, perfect, cookie-cutter experience, maybe look elsewhere.
BUT…
If you want stunning views, a genuinely relaxing spa, good food, and a place that feels like a real, breathing retreat… then Ban Rai Rabeangmok could be your happy place. It certainly almost was mine. The imperfections are what give it character.
My Emotional Rollercoaster:
I went in with high expectations. I was slightly disappointed in some areas, particularly around the amenities, and accessibilty. However, the beauty of the location, the quality of the food, and the friendliness of those caring for the place won me over. The spa was a highlight. I am giving it a solid 4 out of 5 stars.
A Compelling Offer (Because, Booking!)
Tired of the Same Old Hotel Routine? Escape to Khao Kho's Unbelievable Secret!
Are you craving a getaway that isn't boring? Do you yearn for stunning mountain views, delicious food, and a spa experience that will melt your stress away? Then it's time to discover Unbelievable Ban Rai Rabeangmok: Khao Kho's Hidden Gem!
Here's what awaits you:
- Breathe in the Fresh Mountain Air: Wake up to breathtaking panoramic views of Khao Kho's lush landscape.
- Spa Nirvana: Indulge in a massage that will leave you feeling reborn.
- Fuel Your Adventures: Start your day with an Asian breakfast that will power your exploration of Khao Kho's natural beauty.
- Coffee Lover's Paradise: Savor the rich aroma and taste

Alright, buckle up buttercups, because this isn't your sanitized, Instagram-perfect travel itinerary. We're diving HEADFIRST into Ban Rai Rabeangmok Khao Kho, Thailand. Prepare for dirt, delicious chaos, and probably me crying a little from the sheer beauty, and maybe a little from the heat. Let's GO!
Ban Rai Rabeangmok Khao Kho: My Messy, Brilliant Adventure
(Day 1: Arrival & The Great Bungalow Quest - AKA, My Butt is Already Sweating.)
- Morning (Bangkok - Khao Kho): Okay, so the flight was a nightmare. Delayed, cramped, and the guy next to me kept trying to steal my armrest. Ugh. But finally, FINALLY, we landed in Bangkok. After what felt like an eternity (and three questionable airport coffees), we hopped on the pre-booked (and ridiculously affordable) private car service. The driver, bless his heart, didn't speak much English, but he kept smiling and offering me water. I swear I've never been so grateful for a plastic bottle in my life.
- Afternoon (The Bungalow Hunt): The drive up to Khao Kho was… breathtaking. Rolling hills, vibrant greens, and that THAI SUN. Dear god, the sun. The car eventually dropped us at the gates of Ban Rai Rabeangmok. Picture this: lush greenery, scattered bungalows, and that feeling of blissful escape… which immediately turned into mild panic when I realized I had no idea where our bungalow was. The receptionist, who looked like a cherub, tried to explain. "Bungalow… that way, turn there." Eventually, after asking about five more people (and feeling like a complete idiot), we found it. It was adorable. Seriously, the little wooden bungalow (we were in the "Honeymoon Suite" even though I'm on a solo trip) was charming, but there was a slight hitch… The AC wasn't working. My inner drama queen squealed. I called reception and explained the situation. It was fixed pretty quick.
- Evening (Sunset Bliss & Deep Fried Delights): After the AC was fixed, I was ready to start exploring. I walked around, took some pictures, and then it was time for the sunset. OH MY GOD. The sunset over the mountains was like something out of a painting. I felt like I could actually breathe again. I decided to celebrate by ordering some deep-fried stuff -- spring rolls, chicken wings, basically anything that was deep-fried. It was fantastic, even if my stomach wasn't entirely sure. I ended my first day in Khao Kho in a state of pure contentment.
(Day 2: Temples, Trials, and Triumph over Tom Yum - AKA, I Almost Lost My Sandals.)
- Morning (The Wat Pha Sorn Kaew Saga): The alarm went off at 6:00 a.m! This was my attempt at being a responsible tourist! First stop, Wat Pha Sorn Kaew. Let me tell you, the photos DO NOT do this temple justice. It's glitterati, colourful, and simply mind-blowing. The intricate mosaics, the sheer scale of the place, it's a feast for the eyes. I wandered around, completely awestruck, probably looking like a googly-eyed fool.
- Afternoon (The Khao Kho Wind Farm & Motorcycle Mishap - AKA, My Near-Death Experience… Kinda): Okay, so, the wind farm. It's pretty cool, I guess. Giant windmills, great views. But the real adventure happened after. I decided to rent a scooter. I've ridden a scooter before, what could go wrong?! Well, the answer is: pretty much everything. I zoomed off, feeling like a badass, until I hit a patch of gravel. My scooter went one way, I went another. I did a graceful (ahem) faceplant. Miraculously, I was fine. Bruised ego, scrapes on my knees, but alive! This is why I travel alone. I’m sure my mother would have a coronary. Lesson learned: Gravel is evil.
- Evening (Tom Yum Tumble & Starry Nights): I went to a restaurant for dinner, ordered the Tom Yum soup (supposedly a classic, and the only Thai food I’m familiar with), and proceeded to set my mouth on FIRE. Seriously, I think my taste buds are still recovering. I spent the rest of the evening nursing a Singha beer (a large one, naturally) and staring up at the stars. The sky was a blanket of glitter, and the silence was utterly magical.
(Day 3: Cloud-Capped Adventures & Farewell Feels - AKA, Tears, Sweat, and a Deep-Fried Mango.)
- Morning (Sea of Clouds & The Ultimate View - AKA, I Got Up Early For This!): The main event! This was why I came to Khao Kho. I woke up at 5:00 a.m (again!), hopped into a tuk-tuk to see the sea of clouds that Khao Kho is famous for. The drive was a little bumpy, but the view… Oh. My. God. I almost teared up. I stood there, watching the clouds roll over the mountains as the sun painted the sky in hues of pink and gold. It was a spiritual experience. The kind of thing that makes you forget all the travel mishaps and just feel grateful to be alive. It was all so worth it.
- Afternoon (Rambling Around & Final Goodbyes): After the clouds, I just wandered around Ban Rai Rabeangmok. I chatted with some of the staff, drank some coffee, and stared longingly at the swimming pool, even though I didn't have the time to swim. I wanted to savor every last moment.
- Evening (The Deep-Fried Mango Finale & Departure): The most beautiful sunset ever, more deep fried desserts, and more beer. Then, the dreaded word…Departure. The moment of truth: leaving this beautiful place. I got in the car, the driver smiled and waved. I was so sad. Seriously, I actually shed a tear. But you know what? It was worth it. This place stole a part of my heart, and I know I'll be back. I left with a full heart, a slightly burnt mouth, and a renewed appreciation for the simple things in life. Goodbye, Khao Kho. Until next time!

Unbelievable Ban Rai Rabeangmok: The Khao Kho Truth Bomb (Because the Photos Lie… Mostly)
Okay, spill the tea! Is Ban Rai Rabeangmok REALLY as dreamy as the Instagram posts?
Look, let's be real. Instagram is a curated highlight reel. Ban Rai Rabeangmok? It's… mostly dreamy. But with caveats. Let's start with the good: the views? Unbelievable. That’s not a lie. Waking up and seeing that mist rolling over the mountains? Yeah, that’s the stuff they make postcards out of. I swear, I spent a good hour just staring out the window on my first morning, just absolutely mesmerized. I mean, I *did* almost forget to brush my teeth. Almost. Don’t tell anyone.
But the truth? Finding the actual place was a small adventure. I'm not exactly known for my stellar sense of direction. Google Maps took me… well, on a scenic route of questionable quality. I'm pretty sure I ended up on a road that was more gravel than road. And my poor rental car… Let's just say it's still recovering.
The views... you mentioned them. What's the actual view like? Is it worth the hype?
Worth the hype? Absolutely. Here's the thing: the photos don’t quite capture the *feeling*. It's not just a picture; it's a visceral experience. The air is crisp, the mountains are majestic, the mist… oh, the mist. It's like being inside a cloud, but in a good way. Like, a really, really good way. I felt *tiny* but also incredibly… content? It was weird.
I took a gazillion pictures, of course. I had to! But even the best ones don't convey the immensity of it all. You know, I went during the rainy season, as the internet told me the best mist occurred during the rainy season. One morning especially, it was unbelievably gorgeous. Just… epic. Mind you, I also got poured on a couple of times while trying to capture the perfect shot. My camera nearly died. Worth it. Every. Single. Drop.
Let's talk the accommodations. Are the bungalows as charming as they look?
Charming? Yes. Rustic? Also yes. Picture this: a little bungalow, maybe a bit *too* open-air for my taste (I’m a mosquito magnet, it's a curse), but perfectly nestled in the hillside. The beds are comfy enough, the bathroom? Basic, but clean. They're not luxurious, folks. Let's be clear. No five-star hotel vibes here. Its simple. Basic.
On the first night, I heard something rustling outside my window. I froze. I’m fairly certain it was a lizard. Or maybe a rat. Okay, probably a lizard. But for about 15 minutes, I was convinced I was going to die. Alone. In a jungle bungalow. Which… dramatized it a bit, but still. Anyway, I survived. I'm pretty sure I still have nightmares. And I never left the lights on again.
What about the food? Do they have good food?
The food. Ah, the food. It's… authentic. Let's put it that way. They have a restaurant, which is convenient, but don't expect Michelin-star quality. More like, home-cooked Thai food. And by "home-cooked", I mean it really feels like someone's grandma is in the kitchen. Which, knowing Thailand, there probably *was* a grandma involved.
The pad thai was pretty good, actually. And the morning glories were incredible. Some of the other dishes? Hmmm… let's just say my stomach had a small adventure of its own. I ended up sticking to the basics for a while. You know, rice, noodles, and a lot of water. I mean, I'm not complaining.. just maybe pack some Tums.
I've seen photos of the "sea of mist." How reliable is it? Will I actually see it?
Okay, this is the million-dollar question, isn't it? The sea of mist is why you're going, right? Well, the mist is… fickle. It's that moody friend who only shows up when *it* feels like it. I've heard it's more reliable during the rainy season, but even then, it's not a guarantee. I was there for five days. I saw the epic, postcard-worthy mist for maybe three mornings.
The other two days? Cloudy. Or… nothing. Just… mountains. Which, to be fair, are still pretty good. But if you're banking on that perfect photo op, be prepared to adjust your expectations. Also, the waiting is part of the fun. Drink some coffee. Stare at the sky. Hope for the best. And maybe bring a deck of cards. You'll need something to do.
What kind of activities are there besides staring at the view?
Um… well… there are the views. You can definitely spend a lot of time just staring at the view. They have a small restaurant. They have bungalows. They have *views*. Okay, so the options are… limited. Khao Kho in general isn't a bustling metropolis. This isn't Phuket. Or Bangkok.
You can do some hiking, I guess. I tried to do a short hike, but I got lost. Again. There’s not much to do here. You go to Ban Rai Rabeangmok to relax. To unwind. To maybe… contemplate your life choices whilst gazing at a sea of mist? It’s a place for introspection, not action. If you need constant stimulation, this isn't the place for you. If you need a break from the world? This is it.
Any tips for actually getting to Ban Rai Rabeangmok? Logistics, basically.
Alright, listen up. Transportation is KEY. Renting a car is highly recommended, and a 4x4, or at least something with decent ground clearance, is not a bad idea. Seriously. The roads can be… rough. Google Maps is a liar. Pack your patience.
Book your bungalow *way* in advance, especially if you're going during peak season. I tried to be spontaneous, and let's just say I ended up wishing I wasn't. Check the weather forecast, but also, don't trust it.Hotel Finder Reviews

